CHAIR: Mrs Julie Lumley
Terms of Reference:
- To carry out an annual review of the staffing structure in consultation with the Headteacher and any budgetary implications highlighted by the Finance Committee.
- To oversee the appointment procedure for all staff, with appropriate delegation to the Headteacher (as outlined below). Headteacher/Deputy Headteacher appointments will be subject to consideration by the full Governing Body and if the appointment is delegated to the Committee it will need to be endorsed by the full Governing Body.
- To establish and review a performance management policy for all staff (except the Headteacher which will be performed by the Headteacher’s Performance Committee).
- To liaise with the Headteacher with regard to the impact of Performance Management and the needs of staff for training and development, making recommendations to the governing body where appropriate.
- To keep under review staff work/life balance, working conditions and wellbeing, including monitoring of absence.
- Consider staff Leave of Absence (only if necessary after delegation to Headteacher).
- Review temporary contracts on an annual basis.
- To make recommendations to the Finance Committee on personnel-related expenditure.
- To monitor and review feedback from staff surveys.
- To review policies as assigned by the governing body, and to report back to the full governing body.
- To monitor and review the pastoral provision and care provided by the school for pupils.
- To monitor the quality and adequacy of PE and sport provision, promoting an ethos which encourages participation in competitive sport.
- To monitor nutritional standards within the school, including school meals, snack provision, and food available during any wrap-around provision.
- To monitor and review student absence, exclusions, and behaviour.
- To set attendance targets and monitor the school’s performance against these targets.
- To monitor and review inclusion arrangements for the integration of children with SEN and other vulnerable groups, and ensure the school’s SEN policy is consistent with the Code of Practice and Equalities Act and reviewed regularly.
- To consider parental engagement.
- To consider safeguarding arrangements and to ensure that the school is fulfilling its responsibilities regarding child protection and the requirements of Working Together to Safeguard Children.
- To monitor and review the school’s RE and PSHE provision and advise the governing body on standards and other matters relating to statutory requirements, and to ensure parents are notified of their right to withdraw their child.
- To consider provision and agree the content of Sex and Relationships education and consult parents, notifying them of their right to withdraw their child.
- To ensure implementation of Anti-Bullying and Behaviour Policies and to assess their impact.
- To ensure that the school fulfils its statutory responsibilities in terms of Race discrimination.
- To monitor the development of pupils’ attitudes, values and other personal qualities.
- Ensure that the school has an effective School Council and to receive regular reports from the Student Council.
- To ensure that adequate provision is made for transition between primary and secondary education.
- To monitor and review feedback from pupil surveys.
- To receive reports with regard to parental complaints.
- To review policies assigned by the governing body, and to report back to the full governing body.
Delegation to the Headteacher
Appointments: Under the 2009 School Staffing (England) Regulations the Governing Body delegates to the Headteacher the power to appoint:
- Temporary Staff (teaching and non-teaching).
- Permanent non-teaching staff.
- Permanent teaching staff appointments, below leadership level, to be made by the Headteacher with 1 Senior Leader and 1 Governor.
Dismissals: The governing body delegates to the Headteacher responsibility for the dismissal of:
- All staff, other than Headteacher, unless exceptional circumstances exist.
- Dismissal of the Headteacher will be delegated to a committee of the Governing Body.
Meetings: At least once yearly