Our music curriculum follows the statutory National Curriculum for Music.
At Red Rose Primary School we provide pupils with a Music curriculum that:
- Widens their musical repertoire which is then used to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composing and performance work.
- Is underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation and knowledge of music that rapidly develops technical expertise.
- Teaches pupils to be very aware and appreciative of different musical traditions and genres.
- Develops an excellent understanding of how musical provenance – the historical, social and cultural origins of music – contributes to the diversity of musical styles.
- Develops pupil’s ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately.
- Nurtures a passion for and commitment to a diverse range of musical activities.
We teach Music through four specific musical concepts: Perform, Transcribe, Compose and Describe.
Children at Red Rose perform throughout the year at various church services, concerts and in class assemblies. Singing skills are taught through regular singing assemblies and also through skills-based singing lessons taken from the Charanga Musical School resource.
Children grasp how music is transcribed as they are taught the meaning of different musical symbols during their time at Red Rose. Children are also taught to able to read and place the notes EFGABCD on a musical stave. Different notes are introduced at different points and are revisited regularly. These skills are taught mainly through recorder lessons in Year 3 and 4 that are delivered by specialist music teachers and also through specific skills-based lessons taken from Charanga Music School.
Compositions are created firstly by clapping rhythms and experimenting with different sounds. As children’s understanding and skills base grows, they then begin to compose melodies using musical instruments. Children also have the opportunity to write lyrics and enter competitions to create songs for Red Rose Primary School.
Introducing children to lots of new and varied styles of music enables them to discuss and describe pieces they hear. Furthermore, the teaching of the dimensions of music using interactive resources from the Charanga Musical Schools allows children to describe pieces in great detail. Every week a new piece of music is introduced during assembly also: questions are asked about the piece reinforcing children’s understanding of the dimensions of music and various ways to describe different pieces.
As a result of our music curriculum children, will be able to:
- play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts.
- use their voices to sing with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression.
- play musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression.
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the inter-related dimensions of music.
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory.
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians.
- understand, with increasing knowledge, the history of music.