Our Design and technology curriculum follows the statutory National Curriculum for Design adn technology.
At Red Rose Primary School we provide pupils with a Design Technology curriculum that:
- Prepares pupils to participate in tomorrow’s rapidly changing technologies.
- Provides opportunities for all children to design and make quality products.
- Presents children with the opportunity to explore food and cooking techniques along with healthy eating and environmental issues within food production.
- Develops design and making skills, knowledge and understanding to the best of each child’s ability; using and selecting a range of tools, materials and components.
- Allows children to become creative, independent problem solvers as individuals and also members of a team.
- Enhances the use of computing in conjunction with the Designing and Making process.
- Develops an ability to criticise constructively and evaluate their own products and those of others.
- Helps children develop an understanding of the ways people in the past and present have used design to meet their needs. To reflect on and evaluate such techniques, its uses and effects.
- Prepares children for living in a multi-cultural society by teaching consideration for other cultures which will be both important and beneficial.
Technology will be delivered through a number of routes
- Weekly technology lessons to cover the main curriculum, delivered through mastering practical skills, Design, make and evaluate and Taking inspiration from designs through history.
- Links to other curriculum areas through STEM activities, particularly within the year 5 and 6 curriculum in 2019 and then other year groups in subsequent years
- Occasional whole school events, such as Technology Days or natural links to events such as National Engineers Week
- Enrichment activities by either educational visits or visiting technology activities